Sunday 21 March 2010

Recommended Reading II: The Fiction Class

Picture is borrowed from http://www.susanjbreen.com

Last night, after the surprise birthday party, I finished "The Fiction Class " by Susan Breen.

You know the feeling you get when an enjoyable book comes to the end and that "lost" feeling you have until you find a new book...? Well, that is how I feel after this book.

I picked it up at the train station coming from Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago and didn't really expect much from it. To begin with the story seemed to be about a creative writing teacher with a rather sad and not very exciting life. But as the story unfolds there are more layers to her past and present, particularly in relation to her relationship towards her mother who is in a nursing home. That hit a note with me as my mother is also in a nursing home (the similarities with the book story end there!), but I can relate to her feelings towards this major change in both her mother's and her own life. It isn't a sad book. It is more a book on coming to terms with family history, embracing your life and moving on. 

Recommended!

... and now I am looking for another book to read!

4 comments:

  1. Takk for
    bokanbefaling
    og fortsatt
    goood helg!!!

    Mvh Hc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks interesting ... I've just finished reading a couple of noteworthy books, but one I think you might like is Margaret Drabble's Red Queen. It's set in 17th century Korea and present day England and Korea. If you can wait until the summer I'll bring it then, but right I've lent my copy to a friend.
    Yes, I agree entirely, there's nothing that makes one feel almost bereft as having finished an excellent book.
    How was the party?
    Hope you have accomplished everything you wanted this weekend!
    Take care,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for that book recommendation. In terms of another book to read - have you read "the girl with the dragon tattoo"? I am about to start it as it comes highly recommended. You might have already seen the movie which is out also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommended books, ladies! I will look for either of them.

    The party was lovely, lots of guests - some had even come over from Sweden. Unfortunately, I was not in the best of forms due to my cold, so Our Boy and I left early. But we managed to chat with a lot of people I hadn't seen in a long time, so really nice and I think the birthday girl was well pleased!

    ReplyDelete

Pinterest