Monday 22 March 2010

Recommended viewing: Jeeves & Wooster

Yesterday afternoon Our Boy and I enjoyed watching an episode of Jeeves & Wooster which we had bought for Christmas for The Professor as a box set of DVDs. J&W is a British comedy television series adapted from P.G. Wodehouse's "Jeeves" stories. The series was screened on TV from 1990 to 1993. It starred Hugh Laurie as Bertie Wooster, a jovial but empty-headed young gentleman, and the wonderful Stephen Fry (I am a HUGE fan of Stephen Fry) as Jeeves, his improbably well-informed and talented valet. The stories are set in England and the United States in the pre-Second-World-War 20th century (there are aspects of the Edwardian era, 1920s, and 1930s).


Wooster is a well-to-do bachelor, a minor aristocrat and member of the idle rich. He and his friends, who are mainly members of The Drones Club, are aided in all manner of societal adventures by the indispensable "gentleman's personal gentleman," Jeeves. Four series were produced, with 23 episodes in total. As well as the humor and the language of the series, I just love the well carried out display of Art Deco. Watching an episode is the perfect way to idle away an afternoon...

2 comments:

  1. Mette, you've finally inspired me to post my blog officially! I've decided to stick to book reviews because – frankly – my life is too dull to dwell on!!!
    Here it is: http://skiinghead.blogspot.com/

    See what you think!

    All the best,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now a 'follower'! Welcome to Bloglandia!!

    ReplyDelete

Pinterest