Tuesday 9 April 2013

Recommended Reading: Beatles

 
Filling in the "gaps"...
 
I guess we all have 'gaps' in the list of books we would have liked to have read. Working my way through my 'list', I am currently reading the Norwegian/Danish author, Lars Saabye Christensen's book "Beatles" (published in 1984). I read his book "The Half Brother" (2001) when it was published and loved it. The same goes for "Beatles".
 
The book is set in the 1960s and the story is told through the main character, Kim Karlsen (Paul). Kim and his friends, Gunnar (John), Sebastian (George) and Ola (Ringo), played football together, collected Beatles records and stole attributes from cars. Kim is the notorious liar, while Gunnar is the truth-seeker. Ola is the stuttering fat one, and Sebastian is a spiritualist. The four boys mature during the political struggle of the 1960s, and end up as left-wings, inspired by people around them. Although they are at least 10 years older than me, there are many familiar flashbacks to childhood memories, feelings and growing up in Norway in the 1970s.
 
Beatles has two sequels, Bly (Lead) and Bisettelsen (The Funeral).
 
So, my list goes on...

Which books are on your 'must-read' list?

3 comments:

  1. Herlig bok - helt enig!!! Denne er en av mine favoritter ja ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeg leste Beatles for mange år siden og likte den. Jeg begynte på Bly for 3-4 år siden, men blei ikke helt fortrolig med den. Det tror jeg er fordi det hadde gått for mange år mellom bøkene og mye var glemt fra første bok. Så min anbefaling er å ikke vente så altfor lenge med fortsettelsene. Halvbroren elsket jeg, men har ikke sett tv-serien. Akkurat nå er jeg i litt lesetørke, men leselysten kommer helt sikkert tilbake. Det bruker den å gjøre i alle fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a book I'd enjoy. I think I need a trip to the bookshop :)

    ReplyDelete

Pinterest